English Learners


The local employing agency determines if a student needs English Learner (EL) services.  A teacher assigned to teach these student(s) will need an authorization for instruction to teach English Learners in addition to authorization in the content area of instruction.  State laws do not provide exemptions for a subject area, setting, or particular number of ELs needing services in a class, including designated subjects/career technical education classes.  If a teacher is teaching a class with at least one English learner, that teacher must have an authorization to provide EL services.

Additional information regarding English Learners is available.